Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DIY Trellis

We're selling our house and needed plants for the front stairs to "spruce it up" a bit.  So I bought Mandevillas because I heard they are hard to kill and since I tend to kill most plants I buy, I thought these were a good match.  And my goodness, I've done nothing to them and they're growing like crazy!!  So crazy that they outgrew the mini trellises they came with.  So I went to Walmart and Lowes looking for trellises....are those out of style these days?  Because no one carries them.  So I made my own.

Step One: Find two 4 ft long sturdy sticks and two 12" sticks.  These are the sizes I used, but you can make them bigger or smaller depending on where you want to put your trellis.


Step Two:  Lay out your trellis to the pattern you want.

Step Three:  Use twine to secure each intersection.  Wrap a few times around one diagonal then switch to the other direction.  Tie in a secure knot in the back of the trellis.

Step Four:  Stick in your planter and place your vines accordingly.  Looks like I'll need a bigger trellis soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment